CRPLSA works cooperatively with the Minnesota Library Association, Information and Technology Educators of Minnesota, and the Multitype Library System Directors to advocate for quality library services. Representatives from these organizations jointly prepare an annual library legislative platform outlining initiatives for consideration by the Minnesota Legislature and the Governor.
2015 Minnesota Library Legislative Initiatives
In preparation for the 2015 Legislative Session, the MLA and ITEM memberships approved the 2015 library legislative platform at their annual, statewide conferences. During the legislative session, CRPLSA will undertake advocacy activities on these and other library issues.
Supplementary details or “talking points” will be shared as developed. These offer more information on each legislative plank and are useful when advocating for specific initiatives.
- Regional Library Basic System Support (RLBSS) infographic
- Multitype funding infographic
- Regional Library Telecommunications Aid (RLTA) talking points
- Library Legacy infographic
2015 Special Legislative Initiative
In an unprecedented action, nine regions are undertaking a separate legislative initiative during the 2015 legislative session to change the Regional Library Basic System Support (RLBSS) formula.
- Infographic outlining the proposed RLBSS formula change
- Detailed talking points describing significant factors pertaining to the proposed RLBSS formula change
For many years CRPLSA has studied a variety of solutions in an effort to lessen formula volatility and budget uncertainty. However, the group has been unable to secure unanimous agreement. In 2013, a special joint CRPLSA/MELSA Ad Hoc Funding Committee proposed a formula change that was approved by nine regional library boards.
This proposal reduces the equalization factor from 25% to 15% and increases the basic system service factor from 5% to 15%. The formula change is endorsed by:
- Arrowhead Library System (ALS)
- East Central Regional Library (ECRL)
- Lake Agassiz Regional Library (LARL)
- Northwest Regional Library (NWRL)
- Pioneerland Library System (PLS)
- Plum Creek Library System (PCLS)
- SELCO (Southeastern Libraries Cooperating)
- Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative (TdSLC)
- Viking Library System (VLS)
CRPLSA also offers a multiple-year history of library legislative platforms and talking points.