CRPLSA works cooperatively with the Minnesota Library Association, Minnesota Educational Media Organization, and the Multitype Library System Directors to advocate for quality library services. Representatives from these organizations jointly prepare an annual library legislative platform outlining initiatives for consideration by the Minnesota Legislature and the Governor.
2013 Minnesota Library Legislative Initiatives
In preparation for the 2013 Legislative Session, the MLA and MEMO memberships approved the 2013 library legislative platform at their annual, statewide conferences. During the legislative session, CRPLSA will support advocacy efforts on these and other library issues.
Supplementary details or “talking points” offer background information. These include:
- Arts and Cultural Heritage Funding Library Legacy Talking Points
- Data Privacy on Electronic Materials Talking Points
- Homework Help for Minnesota’s Students Talking Points
- Electronic Library of Minnesota – ELM Talking Points
- Minitex and MnLINK Talking Points and an additional Minitex supplemental informational handout
- Multitype Library Services Talking Points
- Regional Library Basic System Support Talking Points
- Regional Library Telecommunications Access Talking Points
2012 Minnesota Library Legislative Initiatives
The 2012 Minnesota Legislature is in session and CRPLSA, in cooperation with the MLA and MEMO, will advocate for libraries.
MLA/MEMO creates talking points to assist library staff, trustees, and Friends when sharing information with legislators.
2011 Minnesota Library Legislative Initiatives
Library legislative initiatives for the 2011 session are outlined in the joint MLA/MEMO platform. Each platform plank also has a corresponding “talking point” offering additional details.
Make plans to attend Library Legislative Day on March 1, 2011!
Each year, MLA/MEMO co-sponsor a Library Legislative Day providing an opportunity for library staff, trustees, Friends, local government officials, and general library supporters to visit their legislators and advocate for libraries. The 2011 Library Legislative is FREE, you just need to get yourself to the Capitol.
In an effort to provide background information on each of the planks or issues referenced in the 2011 library legislative platform, library advocates prepared a series of talking points. Listed below, in the order presented on the platform:
- 2011 Telecommunications Talking Points
- Regional Library Systems
- 2011 Library Legacy Funding Talking Points
- Minitex and MnLINK
- 2011 Library Accessibility Improvement Grants Talking Points
- 2011 Governor’s Workforce Development Council Talking Points
Library Maintenance of Effort (MOE) has become a very large topic of discussion during the 2011 Legislature. Talking points offering general information for discussion with legislators and local governement officials have been created.
2010 Minnesota Library Legislative Initiatives
2010 Legislative supporting materials include the joint legislative platform approved by both professional associations and Talking Points which provide more information about each platform plank.
- MLA – MEMO Legislative Platform 2010, as revised February 3, 2010 for Library Legislative Day, February 24, 2010: Talk Is Cheap. Advocate, Advocate, Advocate!
- Talking Points for Platform 2010: Academic Libraries
- Talking Points for Platform 2010: Broadband Task Force
- Talking Points for Platform 2010: Public Library Accessibility and Improvement Grants
- Talking Points for Platform 2010: School Library Media Centers
Previous Legislative Platforms
2009 Legislative Platform
2008 Legislative Platform
2007 Legislative Platform
2006 Legislative Platform
2005 Legislative Platform
2004 Legislative Platform
2003 Legislative Platform
2002 Legislative Platform
2001 Legislative Platform