East Central Regional Library (ECRL) received a $7,430 Federal Library Services and Technology Act mini grant for a Playful Learning Space in the Wyoming Area Library. The grant will be administered by State Library Services within the Minnesota Department of Education.
The new Playful Learning Space, complete with a wide assortment of manipulative items, puzzles, puppets, a puppet theater and kid friendly furniture, will:
- Create a welcoming child-friendly area for children, families and caregivers with a visual impact that promotes play and learning
- Encourage more children, families and caregivers to visit the library
- Offer a safe and accessible place to fulfill a child’s basic need to move, play and learn, thus supporting their growth and development
- Increase parents and caregivers awareness of activities that promote early literacy through play
- Encourage children to engage in many of the early literacy skills (including talking, singing, reading, writing and playing).