MELSA is currently pursuing a search for an Executive Director who will be responsible for the successful leadership and management of our organization according to the strategic direction set by our Board of Trustees and Advisory Board. The Executive Director of MELSA is responsible for implementation of policies, goals and objectives, as well as the financial management, program, and administrative management of the organization, operating within guidelines set by state statute. Specifically:
- Implement, accomplish and enhance the MELSA Strategic Plan as developed by both MELSA Boards and approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Lead MELSA teams and staff in the development and implementation of the organization’s goals, policies and programmatic activities.
- Manage MELSA staff including hiring, training, supervision, evaluation, discipline and termination.
- Manage the financial health of the organization, including budget creation, expenditures and control along with grant seeking and management.
- Provide information, advice, and counsel to the Presidents of the Boards, Board Committees, and the Advisory and Governing Boards in the creation of policies, programs, and strategic directions of the organization.
- Scan the environment for trends and represent MELSA’s interests with the State Library Agency, Metronet, the Council of Regional Public Library System Administrators (CRPLSA), and other appropriate metro, state and federal agencies.
- Communicate effectively and develop relationships with state and federal legislators, working with member libraries and the Minnesota Library Association’s Legislative Committee on development and support of library laws and funding.
Candidates must possess a Master’s Degree in Library and Informational Science (MILS), from a library, education program accredited by the American Library Association and have five to ten years of public library administrative experience. Preferred qualifications are: experience in strategic planning for library services, working with regional public library systems and past experience working with Governing and Advisory Library boards.
Note: This position is being posted by Dakota County as a service for MELSA. Any applications submitted for this position are an expressed interest of employment with MELSA and will in no way be considered an expressed interest of employment with Dakota County.
All applications are submitted online and registering for an account is easy. Click here to register for an account.