The Minnesota Book Awards is very pleased to announce a new, online version of the popular Minnesota Writers Map which was first launched in the spring of 2013. Now featuring interactive information on each of the 112 authors listed, the online project is intended to be an ever-expanding effort. In the coming months, additional authors will be added, with more audio and video resources continually being incorporated to make it a truly living and breathing representation of the state’s literary legacy.
SELCO Features MNBA Authors
Fall colors are appearing as are Minnesota Book Award authors in libraries throughout the southeast. Once again, SELCO will host a traveling author tour featuring 13 authors visiting 23 locations during 10 weeks from September through November. Check the Author Tour postcard for dates, times and locations.
Minnesota Book Awards for 2014
The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library is pleased to announce the winners of the 26th annual Minnesota Book Awards (MNBA). And the MNBA winners are —
- Children’s Literature: David LaRochelle and Mike Wohnoutka – Moo!– published by Walker Books for Young Readers/Bloomsbury Children’s Books
- General Nonfiction: Jack El-Hai – The Nazi and the Psychiatrist: Hermann Göring, Dr. Douglas M. Kelley and a Fatal Meeting of Minds at the End of WWII – published by PublicAffairs Books/Perseus Books Group
- Genre Fiction: William Kent Krueger – Tamarack County – published by Atria Books/Simon & Schuster
- Memoir & Creative Nonfiction: Melanie Hoffert – Prairie Silence – published by Beacon Press
- Minnesota: Kristin Makholm – Modern Spirit: The Art of George Morrison – published by University of Oklahoma Press
- Novel & Short Story: Ethan Rutherford – The Peripatetic Coffin and Other Stories – published by Ecco/HarperCollins Publisher
- Poetry: Matt Rasmussen – Black Aperture – published by Louisiana State University Press
- Young People’s Literature: Carrie Mesrobian – Sex & Violence – published by Carolrhoda Lab/Lerner Publishing Group
The Hognander Minnesota History Award recognizes the author of the most outstanding scholarly work related to Minnesota history published during the preceding two years. As part of the 2014 MNBA festivities Gwen Westerman and Bruce White received this prestigious award for Mni Sota Makoce: The Land of the Dakota – published by Minnesota Historical Society Press.
Books written by a Minnesotan and first published in 2013 were eligible for the 26th annual Minnesota Book Awards. 242 books were nominated for awards this year, and 32 books were selected as finalists. The winners were chosen by panels of judges from the list of finalists. Nominations for next year’s Awards will open in August, 2014. More details about the winners, the finalists, and the 26th annual gala attended by a record breaking 960 people can be found on The Friends of the St Paul Public Library website.